The continuous research conducted in Ducati energia laboratories has led to the development of a polypropylene film with a special
metallization, whose purpose is to favour the self-healing process and reduce dielectric losses.
Thanks to this innovative metallization treatment, the polypropylene is subjected to less stress during operation. Therefore it maintains its dielectric properties for a significantly longer time while delivering significantly better performance in terms of both current and voltage.
LONG LIFE (Heavy Duty) series - High performance PPMh capacitors - LL-10
This innovative range of industrial power factor correction capacitors featuring elements wound with PPMh film sets new standards in terms of
reliability, performance and compactness.
More effective self-healing and reduced dielectric losses make it possible to obtain a lifespan of up to 150,000 hours and performances in terms of voltage and current that are comparable to those of paper and oil capacitors while reducing size by up to 40%.
Capacitors of this type belong to the families:
- Series LL-10 Capacitors
- Series MODULO50 Cylindrical three-phase capacitors
LL-10 & Long Life Modulo50 Capacitors
Three-phase Modulo50 capacitors are latest from Neptune-Ducati and has been designed for power factor correction in high harmonic current content. They are capable of withstanding 4xIn which is Maximum in comparison to other technologies offered in the market.
The capacitor has been made by three elements connected in a delta configuration to keep as low as possible the Stress voltage on the film. The elements are housed into an
aluminium can and finally impregnated by natural oil.
Each element is made by Metallized Polypropylene.
- The metallization has been made in a special "profile" to allow:
- an higher voltage stress on the film
- an higher operating over-voltage
- a better way to control the self-healing
- An heavy edge to improve the contact from the active area and the spraying head to reach an higher inrush current (more than 300 times rated current)
- very low losses (less than 0,2 W/kVAr)
The impregnation technology allow:
- to treat the capacitor in a vacuum
- to eliminate gas and humidity from the active area
- impregnate the element
- To control the "partial discharge effect" which is one of the reason to have precocious ageing (life longer than 150,000 operating hours)
- the capacitor is equipped with an over-pressure device which allow to protect itself
- from the destructive short circuit coming from an electrical or thermal over-load
- this over-pressure device works on all the three phases
- the oil is the best to transmit to the mechanical safety device, in a shortest way, the over-pressure coming from a destructive short-circuit.
- The capacitor has been equipped with a new claw profile to assure that no leakage can occur during all capacitor's life.
The mastic, is spread just before clawing, so it can run through all the space from cover and can The mastic is made by silicon. After a few minutes, the mastic join cover and can and the oil, that fill the capacitor, can't go outside.
The picture has been taken from a real capacitor by microscope
To be sure that the capacitor can withstand the expected life (more than 150,000 h), we have put, itself, under:
Coefficient K by which to multiply the active energy consumed in KW in order to determine the KVAR necessary for correcting the power factor
(cosj is the initial PF, Cosj1 is the PF obtainable with correction),
Recommended final Cosφ = 0.95 upto 1.00